K – 6 Curriculum planning framework with programming support: Connected Outcomes Groups (COGs)
The curriculum planning framework and programming support on these pages will assist primary schools in managing the curriculum program for the six key learning areas across the stages of schooling.
The curriculum planning framework provides three levels of support.
- A curriculum planning framework for six KLAs, displayed in two posters
- Units of work, one for each connected outcomes group, translate the framework into programming support. The units of work contain teaching and learning activities with literacy and numeracy links and planned assessment. There are in total 30 units of work, covering HSIE, SciTech, Creative Arts and PDHPE outcomes from Early stage 1 to Stage 3.
Connected Outcomes Groups (COGs):
The KLA learning outcomes have been grouped in each COG to take advantage of connections that can be made because of similar content, processes or skills and to make connections between ideas to maximise students’ learning. Each connected outcomes group is designed to be taught over one term and where essential for learning, there is adequate repetition of outcomes.
Benefits from using a COGs approach
- makes programming manageable by connecting similar content, processes and skills
- allows the curriculum to be taught more efficiently
- enables effective planning across key learning areas
- ensures that the KLA is able to be effectively taught in an integrated approach
- ensures a balanced coverage of all key learning areas.
The Board of Studies Foundation Statements encompass, at a broad level, the nature and scope of learning from Kindergarten to Year 6, at each stage of primary school. Using a set of COGS units from a stage will enable teachers to be confident that, in the related KLAs, their students will have opportunities to learn the knowledge, skills and understanding described in the Foundation Statements.
Interpreting the COGs poster:
- There are eight COGs in each stage from S1 to S3 and six smaller COGs for Early Stage 1
- The letters A to I, shown in the top left of each COG, show links between outcomes groups across stages. For example, string A links Early Stage 1 Our place to Stage 1 Local places to Stage 2 Local environments to Stage 3 Living land
- most COGs have four KLAs; some have three
- string I Physical education is a separate group for programming to assist with students participating in 120 minutes of planned physical activity each week.
- outcomes are written in full on the poster once only. The outcome code is written when outcomes are revisited.